In life, we're always on a constant balancing act. As the New Moon is in Sagittarius, we are reminded that there's always a need for exploration on our spiritual paths. At the same time, we have to do our best to keep our Egos in checked. With Sagittarius, the tarot counterpart for our fiery sign is Temperance. In most depictions of the Temperance card, she is an angel who has one feet placed in the water and the other on the ground. At the same time, she is constantly juggling water between two cups. We call this process "tempering" as we do our best to meet the middle state on our situation.
Why self-restraint? As we're in a world where we can commit to overly self indulgence, Temperance reminds us to weigh in our desires and see what we can do to compromise our own vices. Aside from our tarot card, we will be using selenite crystals and sea salt to help purify our thoughts and find clarity in our intentions.
You will need:
- Temperance card (deck of your choice)
- Two selenite crystals (I purchased mines at Serenity Oracle)
- Purified water
- Sea salt
- Two glass cups (note that I'm using wine glasses for this demonstration. If you're unable to find any glass cups, paper cups can work as well)
- Gather your items and find a safe place to place your card, crystals and glass cups.
- Lay out your personal space just as indicated in the picture below.
- Fill about a half of water to each cup, making sure not to overflow.
- With a pinch of salt, recite the following:
y the salt of the Earth
I implore to the Divine
Make my thoughts clear
So that my light will shine
Place the salt in one of the cups. Gently swish the water around to make sure that the salt dissolves thoroughly.
- At that point, take the two cups and start transferring the water back and forth in a slow motion. As you follow the rhythm, think of what situation you're currently under that is affecting your balance. Let Temperance be your guide. Imagine that you're mimicking her flow. Note the serene face as she's able to make a seemingly complicated task into something much simpler. Think of the ways that you would like to have more self restraint on what's affecting you. It could be a better handling on your emotions or finding the will to save financially.
- Once you feel calm and ready, recite the following:
As I temper my thoughts and will
I have the means to honor and instill
A new path that only I can follow
Here I stand in my own bravado
Let the truth unfold in what I do
By the power of three, I shall renew
- Leave the Temperance card, cups and crystals in a safe area during the New Moon in Sagittarius. Once the moon moves to the next sign, you may remove them. Be sure to thank your spirit guides for their assistance.
I hope you enjoy this spell! Let me know what you think in the comments.